Freaky facts you didn't know about spiders...
- Most spiders have eight eyes. Some have no eyes and others have as many as 12 eyes.
- For its weight, spider web silk is actually stronger and tougher than steel.
- Spiders are found on every continent of the world except Antarctica.
- Almost all spider species are predators, although one plant-feeding species has been documented.
- Spiders are not insects! They actually belong to a group of animals called arachnids.
- Australia has over 2,400 species of spiders however, less than 50 of them are harmful to humans.
If you are unfortunate enough to get bitten, try to photograph the spider and seek medical advice immediately.
Here are a few tips to keep your home clear of these eight legged creepy crawlies.
- Keep your home clean and clear of clutter and places for spiders to hide.
- Make sure you keep your home clean of other insects as spiders may be attracted to them as prey.
- Spiders may be repelled by a mixture of peppermint oil and vinegar.
- Fill cracks and holes where spiders may enter.
- Keep ground and leaf litter away from the outside of your home to give them fewer places to hide.
- If you want to dispose of a spider humanely, try placing a glass jar over the spider and sliding a sheet of heavy paper underneath, then release it outside.
If you are not confident in catching spiders around your home, Termitrust can provide a comprehensive treatment to keep them out. For a no pressure quote and free advice please call us, fill out the Make an Enquiry form or contact your local Termitrust Service Centre.