Cockroaches in Australia
The most common varieties in Australia include the German, American and Oriental cockroaches. American cockroaches are large and black. German cockroaches are smaller and brown. Oriental cockroaches are medium sized and dark brown to black in colour. Cockroaches thrive in all suburban areas and oonce they make themselves at home in a house, they can be very difficult to eradicate.
Do Cockroaches Carry Disease?
Cockroaches eat virtually anything, including rotting rubbish, food spills and faecal matter.
Ingested bacteria can survive in the cockroach's digestive system, sometimes for months or even years, and are passed in its droppings. Cockroaches will vomit and defecate on food and it is thought that disease may be transmitted to humans when humans eat food contaminated by cockroaches.
How Do Cockroaches Get Into A Home?
Cockroaches prefer to live in kitchens and other food preparation areas, so they can feed off food spills and have access to water. Hiding spots for the household cockroach include:
- Cracks in walls
- Confined spaces (such as behind the refrigerator)
- Underneath stacks of magazines, newspapers or cardboard boxes
- Any furniture items that are generally left undisturbed
- Kitchen cupboards and pantries
- Below sinks
- Around water heaters
- In drains and grease traps
Controlling A Cockroach Infestation
A cockroach infestation is best controlled with a combination of good hygiene practices and a treatment through a licensed pest controller.
Steps for good hygiene:
- A clean house is a key to keeping cockroaches away, clean your house thoroughly and regularly. Clean the floor routinely to clean up crumbs and sticky spots.
- Wash your dishes and put food away promptly after meals. Clean up crumbs and spills right away, and generally keep the area clean. Pay special attention to range tops, as cockroaches love grease.
- Empty the dustbin in your kitchen regularly and always keep it covered. A pile of food scraps is an open invitation to cockroaches
- Always keep food out of their way and store in sealed containers
- Take out your rubbish at night
- Do not accumulate clutter - they will nest in anything from paper to clothing
Why Have A Professional Cockroach Treatment?
- Reduces the risk of having a major infestation and will manage the cockroach problem over time
- A qualified pest control operator is trained to determine the extent of the infestation
- A regular service/treatment will keep cockroach breeding to a minimum - you do not have to see cockroach to have a problem
- Commercial treatments are more effective as they target the specific cockroach species
- Professional technicians are trained in cockroach’s biology and breeding habits. They know what type of treatment suits the cockroach and the environment
For an obligation free quote to get rid of your ant problem please:
At Termitrust we know cockroaches so you don't have to...